Friday, February 25, 2011

Automotive Memories - Day 2

On the second day of my trip to Louisiana I came across some great old cars on a frontage road running next to I-20 between Jackson and Vicksburg MS. It was the first great find of my day, and the trip. I stopped and spent about 30 minutes rambling around amoung them and snapping photos.

I have an on-going love affair with old cars that began back in the late 60's. Back then I hung out with a bunch of 'car guys' who restored, souped-up and otherwise worked on cars most of the time we weren't in school. Summer's were spent cruising the boulevard, scrounging parts in junkyards and parts stores, hanging out in garages and driveways...strange places for a teenage girl but I loved it! I was as proud as they were to show off the latest creation, the fastest hotrod, the lowest lowrider.

So when I saw these cars all lined up along the road I was drawn to them like a bee to a flower. One of the main things that attracted me to them was that these were the cars of my youth...mostly 50's and 60's models, all American made cars!!! There were Chevy's, Ford's, Oldsmobiles and even an old Edsel wagon. Not only did I remember these cars from the 'car guy days', I also remembered riding in them as a child to picnics, the drive-in movies, church and vacations... these were the cars of my youth.  And so as I wandered around this old junkyard snapping photos my mind wandered back to the days of my youth...Oh the memories, sweet memories these wonderful old rusted autos brought to mind.  When I had a chance to look though the photos I decided that the best way to share them here was a slide show and so I give you...
Old Cars


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

VERY COOL TANYA!!! So these were just setting on the side of the road? -mickey