Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Time Passes...Memories Fade

Time passes...Memories Fade...A Picture is worth a 1000 words...I am glad to have so many pictures of my trip to Louisiana and Mississippi because sometimes words fail me and my memory is defiantly not what it used to be.  Even though it has been 2 months since my travels took me to Vicksburg Mississippi I have my photographs to remind me of what a splendid day I shared with my dear friend Gretta, thus allowing me to share yet another part of my journey here on 'Off The Beaten Path'.


One of the places we visited that day was the historic old Warren County Courthouse.  This beautiful building was built in 1858 by the Weldon brothers who used skilled slave labor to make the bricks and help with the construction of the building which stands today as Vicksburg’s most historic structure and has hosted such guests and speakers as Jefferson Davis, Ulysses S. Grant, Booker T. Washington, Teddy Roosevelt, and William McKinley.  You can read more about the history of the building as well as the museum at:
http://www.oldcourthouse.org/index.htm

The courtroom on the second floor features a cast iron judge’s Dias and railings, and an intricate iron stairway connects the first and second floors.
Original iron doors and shutters remain on the building.

The museum is operated by the Vicksburg and Warren County Historical Society, a private, non-profit organization.  The museum houses wonderful artifacts relating to the history of Vicksburg, Warren County and the beautiful state of Mississippi. 
Among the 1000's of pieces of history contained within the walls of the Old Courthouse Museum are Confederate flags, including one that was never surrendered, the tie worn by Jefferson Davis at his inauguration as Confederate President, fine portraits, china and silver, exquisite antique furniture, antebellum clothing, toys, Indian and pioneer implements, and an original Teddy Bear given to a local child by Theodore Roosevelt. 
Below are 2 slide shows of some of the photos I took in the museum.




No comments: