Sunday, March 13, 2011

Crossing The Mississippi...New Roads to St. Francisville by Ferry

On day 4 of my journey I headed back to Jackson Mississippi along a route suggested by my son, a graduate of the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.  He sent me off  the beaten path to explore the beautiful historic towns of New Roads and St. Francisville Louisianna and take a ferry ride across the Mississippi River which seperates them.  I only wish I had had more time to explore each of these charming towns as I discovered there is much there to do and see.  I definatly hope to return one day soon...meanwhile, let me share with you here those things that I did see and experience.
With my limited time in mind I chose to do a quick driving tour through the town of New Roads and move on to St. Francisville in hopes of touring one of the many plantation homes located there.  As I drove through town I snapped a few photos of a couple of the beautiful homes located there (photo on left and below), and a couple of an enchanting courtyard in the business district (above and below).



From downtown I drove north to find the ferry crossing.  I arrived just as the ferry was pulling away.  My first thought was that I had missed it and would have to back-track to find another way to cross, but my fears were soon put to rest as others began to arrive and form a line waiting for the next ferry.  I used my 30 minutes to snap a few photos of the river and surrounding area...
And then I was off on my ferry ride across the mighty Mississippi River and on to the enchanting town of St. Francisville Louisianna....



After dis-embarking from the ferry I continued on my jouney, making my way to the charming, historical town of St. Francisville where my first stop was for tourist information from The Museum of the West Feliciana Historical Society.  And that is a story for another day.

No comments: